Yaphank, NY - Three days of baseball, and thirty-one teams sent home. The South Bergen Mets dominated, going 6-0 to earn the bid to Jupiter. The Mets were led by Most Valuable Pitcher Eric Ashworth, and Most Valuable Player Eric Peterson. Dan Sheldon, John Jennings, and Ryan Karl all played key roles for the Mets. The championship game was a 5-2 victory for the Mets, defeating Farrah Builders Scout Team.
There were several pro prospects in attendance, and here is how I ranked the top 15 prospects at the event.
1. Mike Papi- OF, Tunkhannock Area HS (PA)
Solid left-handed hitter with power. Exceptional arm strength. One of the top 2011 prospects in the nation.
2. Fernelys Sanchez- OF, George Washington HS (NY)
Premier hitter with plus-plus speed. Solid defender in the outfield. 2012 grad.
3. Joe Napolitano- 3B, Lawrence Academy ( MA)
Big, strong right handed hitter with power potential. Capable defender at third. Recently committed to Wake Forest.
4. Devin Over- SS, Windsor HS (CT)
Two-way prospect. 88-90 on the mound. Speed and arm to be a premier defensive player.
5. Devin Perry- RHP, BB&N HS (MA)
Tall, projectable RHP. 86-88. Will need to improve off-speed stuff. Also hit well in the tournament.
6. Billy Walker- C, Bishop Hendricken HS (RI)
Huge raw power. Ball flies off the bat. Plus pop times. 2012 grad.
7. Nelson Rodriguez- C, George Washington HS (NY)
Big 2012 catching prospect. Elite bat speed and big power.
8. Chris Harvey- C, Germantown Academy (PA)
Another 2012 catching prospect. 6-4, 215 pounds. Plus defender, power potential. Vanderbilt commit.
9. Rhett Wiseman- OF, BB&N (MA)
Smooth left-handed stroke. Went 4-4 with 2 doubles and a homer on day one. Vanderbilt commit. 2012.
10. Jeff Hoffman- RHP, Shaker HS (NY)
6'2, 170 pound RHP. Sat 86-88, touching 90. More in the tank, too.
11. John Norwood- OF, Seton Hall Prep (NJ)
Great athlete. Plus speed, solid arm. True center field tools. Ball jumps off the bat.
12. Scott Heath- LHP, Westbrook HS (ME)
Live left-hander. 86-87 with two solid-average off-speed pitches. 6'0, 187.
13. Vinny Zarrillo- OF, Lacy HS (NJ)
5'10 175 pounds. Good athlete with solid left-handed bat. Rutgers commit.
14. Kyle Rubbinaccio- RHP, Manalapan HS (NJ)
Tall, projectable RHP. Mid 80s fastball. Notre Dame commit.
15. Kenny Koplove- SS, William Penn Charter HS (PA)
Very good athlete, with plus arm from short. Can run his fastball into the mid 80s as well.