Updated: Jun 6th, 2013
Sarasota Weather Information and Policies
SARASOTA - Weather Announcement:
We wanted to update you on the weather for this year's 2013 Florida State Finals. This is scheduled to be a 5-6 day event. (June 7-12). Please keep perspective that rain on the 5th, 6th, 7th or even all day on the 8th should not effect a tournament of this size and length. We have plenty of fields, plenty of ability to make adjustments within reason. Hang with us!
Brian, myself and my staff have worked tirelessly for over one year now to be prepared for all possible weather scenarios including taking the following preventive/proactive actions:
- We always over-book venues so we have plenty of open time slots to move games into should any games require to become delayed, suspended or changed. This is always subject to extreme weather conditions making the performance of the event impossible.
- We specifically list the tournament as June 7-12, even though the event is technically June 7-11 so that we have an entire day of open venues on the 12th for rain makeups if weather permits.
- We have added the Charlotte Sports Park (Rays Complex) this year which is about 40-45 minutes south of other venues and may have different weather conditions.
- We have already completed a backup schedule in case one of the days gets rained out, we will strive to make quick adjustments and post a new schedule to the best of our abilities.
- We have already reserved Lakewood Ranch HS 2 field complex in case we need additional fields for makeup games.
- If the combine is rained out on Saturday, we already have clearance from the Orioles to try again on Sunday.
We believe we do the best job in the business in handling rain and being prepared for it. It wouldn't be summer baseball in Florida without rain outs!
A few things to keep in mind:
- According to recent reports - the storm is moving very quickly and should continue north and be in GA/Carolinas by Friday morning. If the fields are still wet, we already have a backup schedule in place. We will be able to adjust very quickly and get playing.
- With 120 teams and 35 colleges RSVPd, we want to remind everyone that while winning and having a competitive tournament is very important to us, it is not as important as player safety and college exposure. If we need to cancel consolation games, or adjust the tournament format to advance less teams into the playoff rounds to ensure players are not playing triple headers or 5 games in 24 hours, we will do that.
- In the event of lightning or rain, teams will be directed to seek immediate shelter (usually their cars or the most readily accessible areas of safety) and get OUT of the dugouts per complex rules and player safety.
Communication during rain
- ALL communications concerning weather delays will be communicated through Prospectwire.com's homepage. Please be aware, due to volume of phone calls during weather delays, phone calls from individual parents will likely not be returned as . Prospect Wire will communicate all scheduling updates and changes as a consequence of weather delays directly with the 120 coaches. The coaches are then responsible to communicate these changes to their players and families.
- NOTICE TO COACHES: Any and all rescheduled games will be posted to the website upon completion and confirmation of those changes. Please refrain from calling to ask about specific changes to your team's schedule that have not been posted yet. The MINUTE the schedule is adjusted and confirmed during weather delays is when it gets posted on Prospectwire.com. The website, Prospectwire.com, is where the most up-to-date information will be posted.
- Unless specifically stated on the website, all teams are responsible for attending their games as scheduled on the website and arriving a least 1 hour prior to their scheduled time. Please be aware when traveling to and from the events that weather conditions may be different at your hotel then what is actually happening at the field. All teams are to report to the field and be prepared to play unless specifically stated otherwise
Thank you for your patience and cooperation. We are looking forward to a great week of baseball!
Tropical Storm Andrea Announcements
Total views (3134)
You must be logged in to leave a comment.