AUBURNDALE - The Fall Wood Bat Classic takes place this weekend at the Lake Myrtle Complex in Auburndale, FL. A few announcements:
1. 27 teams have registered making 9 Pools of 3 teams. Each team will play each member of their pool once, giving them 2 games, and a consolation game for those that don't advance. That would make 3 guaranteed games. For the teams that advance, their 3rd game will come in the playoff round(s). It will take 5 wins to win the weekend tournament.
2. PW does not run events during school hours. The first set of games are Frday @ 5:30pm. Teams scheduled during that time slot are all from nearby driving distances. Because PW does not run events during school hours, and PW tries to avoid triple headers when at all possible, there is a limited amount of time to get the tournament in. PW will need to advance 8 teams to the single elimination round from the 9 pools. This means a team who wins their pool will not advance. Percentages dictate that it is most likely that this last team will have a loss anyway and a 1-1 record.
i. A team must win their pool to advance. This means a team that loses any games has very little chance of advancing.
ii. Winning the pool goes by record, then by runs allowed, then by run differential, coin flip.
iii. In the event that there is a tie for the 8th playoff spot between teams amongst different pools, the tiebreaker will follow the same pecking order as mentioned above: record, runs allowed, run differential, coin flip.
iv. Playoff seeding will also follow the same pecking order.
Pools 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 had clear cut winning teams that went 2-0 in pool play. Those 6 teams advance and will be seeded based on record, runs allowed, run differential, and then coin flip.
Pools 7, 8 and 9 have all 1-1 teams. The teams that advance from these 3 pools into the final 2 spots will go based on runs allowed, then run differential, then coin flip. The team with the highest runs allowed will not make the cut and will play a consolation game.
3. Games will have a strict 2 hour time limit. No new inning can start after 2 hours. The semi-finals and championship game will be untimed and 7 innings must be played.
4. In the event of a tie during pool play, the game will end in a tie. In the event of a tie during any playoff round game, a winner must be determined and a tiebreaker will be implemented where each team will have a chance to play an inning of man on 2nd and 0 outs until a winner is determined.
5. Re-entry is allowed as done in FHSAA rules. Teams can also hit 10. (DH and EH).
6. Wood or composite bats must be used.
7. Gate admission will be charged. $10/day or $15 for a tournament pass.
8. Use this link to book your hotel and take advantage of the setup group rates for the tournament: